The Colorado chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers (BHA) recently appointed Luke Fitzgerald to serve as Co-Regional Director for Colorado BHA’s Routt County Group.
Luke was raised in Oklahoma and Denver, then moved to Steamboat Springs as a ski bum, followed by various stops around the country, eventually earning a degree in Environmental Engineering. Luke always had an interest in hunting and started elk hunting after he and his wife moved back to Steamboat five years ago.
“My friend has been a mentor,” Luke said, “I also take in as much as I can by observing and listening to other friends who hunt and celebrities that I follow such as Cameron Hanes, John Dudley, Adam Greentree, and Remi Warren. Also, my wife and I have four goats that we are training to be pack goats to assist in my hunting.”
“I’m not much of a fisherman,” Luke added, “but it doesn’t stop my friends from trying to influence me. I can’t afford another hobby at this point! I think our goals align though, and that’s protecting fish and wildlife, and advocating for fisherman and hunters that provide so much to our economy and natural resources.”
He hunts mostly with a bow, but also uses a rifle. Luke primarily hunts big game and small game on public lands but is also looking to try waterfowl hunting. He works for the State of Colorado as a Water Commissioner and lives outside of Steamboat Springs.
“I’m interested in providing a voice for backcountry hunters and anglers in this area,” Luke said. “I also support the organization Keep Routt Wild and think the two organizations have common ground.” He first heard about BHA through a fellow member.
“We are pleased to have a growing contingent of dedicated chapter leaders like Luke leading our wildlands and wildlife preservation efforts across the state,” said chapter co-chair David Lien (a former Air Force officer). “Our growing boots-on-the-ground presence in Routt County combined with Luke and other hunter-angler-conservationists volunteering as Group leaders will greatly enhance BHA’s efforts on behalf of our wild public lands, waters and wildlife. We need many more like him!”
Additional BHA/Colorado BHA Information:
- Colorado BHA Corporate Partners.
- Hunting For Sustainability (H4S).
- BHA’s Public Waters Access campaign.
- BHA’s Collegiate Program.
- Collegiate Quarterly: (March 2021); (December 2020); (October 2020).
- Backcountry Journal (Spring 2021); (Winter 2021); (Fall 2020); (Summer 2020).
- Backcountry Beat (April 2021); (February 2021); (January 2021); (November 2020).
- BHA’s Armed Forces Initiative. “Armed Forces Initiative-Get Involved.”
- BHA National Policy Updates (April 2021); (February 2021).
- BHA Chapter Policy Updates (April 2021): (February 2021).
- Colorado BHA Habitat Watch Volunteer (HWV) program information.
- “Where Hope Lives: A Brief BHA History.” Backcountry Hunters & Anglers: 11/30/20.
- “Empowering Leaders: It’s In BHA’s DNA.” Backcountry Hunters & Anglers: 1/7/21.
- “We Are Backcountry Hunters & Anglers.” Backcountry Hunters & Anglers: 3/2/21.
- Check out our Take Action Center and follow along with your local chapter to stay engaged on good and bad bills in your area.
- David “Elkheart” Petersen (founder of the first BHA state chapter, here in Colorado, and a former U.S. Marine Corps helicopter pilot) books: www.davidpetersenbooks.com
Founded by Mike Beagle, a former U.S. Army field artillery officer, and formed around an Oregon campfire, in 2004, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers is the voice for our nation’s wild public lands, waters and wildlife. With over 40,000 members spread out across all 50 states and 13 Canadian provinces and territories—including chapters in 48 states, two Canadian provinces and one territory, and Washington, D.C.—BHA brings an authentic, informed, boots-on-the-ground voice to the conservation of public lands. Since the Colorado BHA chapter was founded by David Petersen (a former U.S. Marine Corps helicopter pilot) in 2005 (the first official BHA chapter), they’ve grown their boots-on-the-ground presence to some 2,500 dedicated hunters and anglers.