BACKCOUNTRY JOURNAL INTERN
LOCATION: BHA Headquarters - Missoula, MT
SCHEDULE: 10-20 hours per week - credits available
We are seeking for an intern to assist our journal editor and communications director in the production of our quarterly membership publication, Backcountry Journal. Perfect for undergrad or graduate journalism, writing or EVST students with an interest in the outdoors and publishing.
Backcountry Journal chronicles the efforts of our young, dynamic membership and staff, as well as creating some stoke for the outdoors activities we all love. We print instructional skills stories, cover current events in the conservation world and feature essays about the backcountry by authors of all levels – from college students to the likes of David James Duncan and Rick Bass.
Backcountry Journal Intern duties may include:
- Develop written content for the journal, as his or her skills, knowledge and experience allow. Creating a good clip or two will be a priority
- Reviewing and filing content submissions
- Copy editing
- Event photography/coverage
- Sorting, selecting and editing images
- Digitizing and publishing journal on the BHA website. Possibly embedding videos
- Assisting with layout and design Backcountry Journal before press run
- Assisting with BHA social media posts and presence
- Magazine distribution logistics
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
MEDIA OUTREACH INTERN
LOCATION: Longmont, CO or Missoula, MT
SCHEDULE: 20 hours per week - credits available
Looking for an intern to help with development and management of BHA’s social media content, online communications and blogs, and marketing materials. Position is ideal for an individual with an interest in learning how to manage a membership-based non-profit's online communications and marketing strategies. The individual will be a part of the organization’s rapidly growing online outreach efforts and will learn how to:
- Engage fans and members on some of America’s hottest issues related to public lands, fish and wildlife conservation and sportsmen access.
- Run, manage and monitor highly targeted social media ads on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Google Adwords
- Use Search Engine Optimization (SEO) techniques to drive traffic to website
- Design engaging visual content
- Coordinate multi-channel online content in an inspirational way
- Work as part of a team that includes BHA’s Social Media Coordinator, Communications Director and Conservation Director to help grow BHA’s presence and following online
- Academic background in the areas of communications, marketing, or business/nonprofit management.
- An open-mindedness and willingness to learn
- Ability to learn programs and processes quickly
- We require excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, especially experience with the available social media tools and platforms
- Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Youtube and LinkedIn
- Experience with design programs a plus, but not required
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to communicate to the public in a professional manner.
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented.
- Should have personal (laptop) computer.
- Those with experience or an interest in the hunting, fishing, the outdoors, and/or conservation will receive special consideration.
Please email email@example.com with a resume and cover letter. The subject of the email: Media Intern