Armed Forces Initiative
DoD Skillbridge Position
AFI Project Manager
We are interviewing candidates quarterly for our available time slots. Please note the time you are available for skills-bridge in your Cover Letter.
We are Currently seeking candidates for positions across the organization:
Outdoor Videography and Photography
Let us know what areas of the organization you are most interested in, in your cover letter and please note the dates you are available to start skillsbridge.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers is a North American nonprofit organization with chapters throughout Canada and the United States. BHA seeks to ensure North America’s outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of our wild public lands, waters and wildlife.
Now, more than ever before, we need wild lands: places that offer solitude and challenge to rekindle the fire at the heart of the human soul. BHA is a nonpartisan group of sportsmen and women who are standing up for these places and for the outdoor access opportunities they represent. We are North America’s leading conservation organization dedicated to our public lands legacy and the waters, wildlife and traditions they sustain.
We are looking for an active duty Soldier, Sailor, Marine, or Airman, who wants to spend there DOD Skillbridge internship as a Project Manager to support the growth of the Armed Forces Initiative (AFI). This individual will work with the AFI Coordinator and AFI Advisory board to support and implement AFI projects, support AFI programming efforts across North America, and analyze current financial trends as they relate to AFI funding opportunities. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting our military members to execute programmatic objectives, better serve and engage our Armed Forces Community, and to drive forward BHA’s and AFI’s collective mission.
The ideal candidate must be able to work with little supervision and be flexible and organized in a fast-paced work environment. This position requires the ability to exercise good judgment, make responsible decisions, analyze problems, evaluate strategies, accurately document activities, prepare timely and complete reports, adhere to standards of confidentiality, and communicate effectively. The successful candidate will adhere to BHA’s mission and philosophy.
The AFI DOD Skillbridge Intern will engage in the following:
- Manage the day-to-day tasks of the program such as newsletter topics, software coordination, corporate communication of objectives, and status of current projects.
- Coordinate and prioritize tasks from the AFI Advisory Board based on the annual plan and three-year strategic objectives.
- Manage AFI event posting to the website and follow-up with potential attendees
- Manage AFI gear loaner program to ensure all gear is maintained in good working order and is available for distribution as needed.
- Assist in engaging military members in BHA’s core public land and water conservation and public access work.
- Conduct financial reviews following fundraising events and be the POC for all clubs and liaisons funding events.
- Ensure communications are consistent with donors and the have routine updates on our progress and how we are spending their money.
- Manage general inbox email collecting and categorizing useful emails such as thank you letters.
- Perform other duties as determined by the AFI Coordinator, advisory board, and BHA Executive leadership.
- Honorable service in the active or reserve component in any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces is required.
- Prior experience with data collection and management is preferred.
- Must be a highly organized individual with the ability to work in a startup environment.
- Must be innovative and a creative thinker with a proven success of following through with his/her ideas.
- Must be a hunter and/or angler with a willingness to work flexible hours.
- Must conduct work with integrity, good humor, and a focus on developing partnerships, building trust, and strengthening professional relationships.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work with and interact with veterans, active service military personnel, sportsmen and women and have a knowledge of current and historical public lands and waters conservation issues, hunting, fishing, economics, and the current political landscape.
- Must be innovative and a resourceful self-starter who can work with minimal supervision.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to lift 45 pounds and have a valid driver’s license.
**This position is part of the DOD SkillBridge Program and candidates MUST be approved to participate in the DOD SkillBridge program to apply. For more information on the DOD SkillBridge program please visit https://skillbridge.osd.mil and check with your installation transition assistance program coordinator.
BHA is headquartered in Missoula, Montana but this position is available remotely. We offer a stimulating and fun work environment.
Application: To apply send cover letter and resume to hiring committee at [email protected] and with the subject line “AFI Program Administrator.”
Please attach your cover letter and resume as one pdf document. The application cover letter should outline both your interest in and qualifications for this position.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting through education and work on behalf of wild public lands, waters and wildlife.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.