Chapter Coordinator (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers is a North American nonprofit organization with chapters throughout Canada and the United States. BHA seeks to ensure North America’s outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of our wild public lands, waters and wildlife.
Now, more than ever before, we need wild lands: places that offer solitude and challenge to rekindle the fire at the heart of the human soul. BHA is a nonpartisan group of sportsmen and women who are standing up for these places and for the outdoor access opportunities they represent. We are North America’s leading sportsmen’s conservation organization dedicated to our public lands legacy and the waters, wildlife and traditions they sustain.
We are seeking an individual with the talent, passion and initiative to promote the Backcountry Hunters & Anglers mission and engage in local conservation issues in the area (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV). The Chapter Coordinator will support chapter leadership, work to strengthen board operations and functionality, recruit and engage new members and leaders and provide guidance and support for chapter work on local issues. This position serves as the liaison between chapter leadership and BHA staff and will work closely with the State Policy Director and Eastern Regional Manager.
The ideal candidate will work with a high level of autonomy and be flexible and organized in a fast- paced work environment. They will be able to quickly analyze and solve problems, collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders, develop and evaluate policy strategies, prepare professional reports that accurately document activities, adhere to standards of confidentiality and communicate effectively. The successful candidate will represent BHA with integrity and champion the mission and values in all facets of their work.
The Chapter Coordinator will engage in the following:
- Inspire, cultivate and mentor willing volunteers to lead the development of the chapters in the region through on the ground projects, fundraising events, membership recruitment and engagement on conservation issues central to BHA’s mission.
- Support chapter boards and ensure that chapter leaders are informed of and understand BHA resources, policies, procedures and new initiatives.
- Work with chapters and BHA staff to develop and promote robust fundraising events such as hunting and fishing film tours, sport shows, storytelling nights and other events to promote membership, attract new public lands advocates and create in-person opportunities to advance BHA’s work throughout the area (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV).
- Assist with securing funding to build chapters in the region through direct donations, corporate partnerships and grants.
- Support or manage chapter communications through BHA’s website, email systems and chapter-based social media to elevate BHA’s profile, attract new members and partners and advance policy priorities.
- Monitor activities and legislation at the state legislature related to public lands, hunting, fishing and management of fish, wildlife and habitat.
- Work with BHA staff to assist chapters by developing legislative or programmatic updates and activating members and supporters to engage in state legislatures, meetings with decision-makers and other events as needed.
- Work with external partners to advance strategies related to legislative or administrative conservation priorities.
- Maintain local relationships with congressional delegation in the region.
- Work with BHA’s communications staff to solicit and/or generate online content highlighting chapter policy priorities, leaders, or on the ground conservation successes.
- Identify opportunities to highlight or advance chapter work by writing or sourcing letters to the editor, opinion columns and letters to state and national legislators.
- Preferably a hunter and/or angler.
- Willing to work flexible hours and travel across the area (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV) up to 25% of the time, including periodic travel to the state legislature as needed.
- Previous experience in nonprofit volunteer management and grassroots organizing is strongly preferred.
- Must conduct work with integrity, good humor and a focus on developing partnerships, building trust and maintaining strong professional relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree, plus a minimum of two years of practical experience.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work with and interact with sportsmen and women and have a general knowledge of current and historical conservation issues, economics and the current political landscape.
- Must be an innovative and resourceful self-starter who can work with minimal supervision.
- Must believe in and commit to BHA's work and mission.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds and have a valid driver’s license.
BHA is headquartered in Missoula, Montana. We offer a stimulating and fun work environment, health insurance and 401K plan match, generous leave package including annual time off for backcountry hunting/fishing, and discounts with BHA corporate partners.
Starting Salary: Dependent on experience. This is a junior-level position, but prior experience will be considered in determining compensation.
Location: MI, IN, OH, KY, WV
Application: To apply send cover letter and resume to hiring committee at [email protected] with the subject line “Chapter Coordinator (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)”.
Review: Applications will be reviewed beginning December 13th.
Please attach your cover letter and resume as one pdf document. The application cover letter should outline both your interest in and qualifications for this position.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting through education and work on behalf of wild public lands, waters and wildlife.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.