1) Volunteer to assist with the Minnesota DNR’s Adult Learn-to-Hunt program—contact Minnesota BHA Hunting/Fishing Mentorship Coordinator, Ben Peña (email@example.com), for additional information. Also see this blog post (“Minnesota New Adult Hunter Program”) from BHA’s former Great Lakes Chapter Coordinator, Will Jenkins.
2) Coordinate a public lands clean-up day in conjunction with National Hunting and Fishing Day (the fourth Saturday in September), Public Lands Month (September) or National Hunting and Fishing Month (October). For additional information see: http://www.nhfday.org/; BHA celebrates Public Lands Month/BHA declares September “Public Lands Month”; and, goHunt (“October is now National Hunting and Fishing Month”). To get involved contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) Write an op-ed or letter-to-the-editor (LTE) in support of public lands. For guidance (i.e., a “Sportsmen’s Tutorial” on writing LTEs/op-eds), contact board member, David Lien: email@example.com
4) Help prevent illegal OHV use on public lands by partnering with the USFS or DNR on an OHV Education Signage project. For additional information see: BHA Teams-Up with USFS to Protect Habitat & Access and BHA Sign Installation Work Day. To get involved contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
5) Minnesota BHA’s Habitat Watch Volunteer (HWV) Program is as a grassroots-driven program that connects local land managers with BHA volunteers who are passionate about conserving fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. Volunteers partner with agencies by organizing work projects, participating in land management discussions and commenting on forest plans. For additional information contact board member, David Lien (email@example.com), and/or Habitat Watch Volunteer, Hans Erdman (firstname.lastname@example.org). Also see the MN BHA HWV webpage.
6) Consider hosting/organizing a BHA Pint Night or other event. We’re always looking for volunteers who are willing to help coordinate a film tour, storytelling night, Pint Night, wild game cook-off, etc. For additional information contact: email@example.com
7) Attend the annual Minnesota BHA Rendezvous to meet fellow members, enjoy wild game and participate in chapter planning. For additional information see the MN BHA Facebook Events page.
9) Take Action on BHA priority issues: https://www.backcountryhunters.org/take_action.
10) Stay up-to-date on Minnesota BHA issues/events via our Facebook page.
11) Buy a BHA (gift) membership for a friend or relative.
-Also see: Will Jenkins, former Great Lakes Outreach Coordinator for Backcountry Hunters & Anglers. “The Greatest Need in Conservation & How to Fill It.” The Will to Hunt: 12/11/17. http://www.thewilltohunt.com/2017/12/greatest-need-conservation-fill/