Women in the Woods (WitW) Elk Camp offers an intensive educational three-day hunting experience. During this workshop participants will learn skills needed to tackle future big game hunting endeavors. Over the weekend we will learn:
- The ethics of hunting and how it is used as a wildlife management tool
- How to identify elk habitat
- Species identification and wildlife regulations
Active hunting techniques including:
- What to pack in your bag for different types of hunts
- Identifying glassing locations
- How to move through big-game habitat when hunting
- Field dressing and packout
- Butchering a big game animal
Please Note: All ‘Women in the Woods’ events are geared towards women, non-binary, and those in the LGBTQ+ community, but all are welcome.
While this hunt will mimic a backcountry hunt, it will take place on a private cattle ranch at high elevation (9000’) in the summer. All participants must:
- Be aged 18 years or older
- Respect the landowners property and land-use expectations
- Respect all participants and facilitators
- Make safety your first priority, always
- Be comfortable sleeping outdoors (in a tent)
- Hike several miles per day gaining and losing elevation while carrying a backpack
- Be prepared for hot temperatures and high elevations
- Listen to and adhere to instructions from mentors and facilitators
Participant Application: This event is geared towards providing folks with personalized 2 to 1 instruction with our mentors. To that end we are limiting the event to 6 total participants.
If you would like to be considered for this event please complete this application form. We will be in contact with all applicants by July 1st.
Please email Kassi Smith, CO BHA Board Member and Event Lead - [email protected]
July 16, 2021 at 12:00pm - July 18, 2021
Sorry, this event is sold out.