Over the last year the New England Chapter has been working hard to grow our mentoring program and provide guidance to new hunters and anglers looking for success in their pursuits. We’re excited to announce that we’ll be teaming up with Rhode Island-based guide service Big Game Waterfowl to offer our members the chance at free mentored hunts during Rhode Island’s youth waterfowl hunting weekend October 26 and 27. These are boat-based excursions. Capacity is limited to two pairs of eligible hunters on Saturday, and two more on Sunday. With over 20 years of experience hunting Narragansett Bay and the surrounding waters of Southern New England, our friend Captain Jarad Luchka will be guiding the hunts and making sure that our winners enjoy a safe and enjoyable waterfowl hunt.
Requirements for Entry:
- Entrants must be eligible to hunt during Rhode Island’s youth waterfowl hunting weekend. Eligible hunters are between 12-15 years of age, must possess a Rhode Island hunting license and H.I.P. permit (per state law).
- Entrants must be accompanied by an adult over 21 years of age during the hunt. Accompanying adults are not allowed to hunt, but must also possess a valid hunting license, H.I.P. permit, and state and federal waterfowl stamps (per state law).
- Entrants should bring their own legal shotguns and non-toxic ammunition and be familiar with safe hunting and firearm handling practices.
- Either the hunter or the accompanying adult must be a member of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. If you’re not a member it only takes a moment to join here.
About the Hunts:
- Rhode Island’s youth waterfowl weekend occurs on October 26 and 27. The hunts will depart from a boat launch in the East Greenwich/North Kingstown/Narragansett area at around 5:30 a.m. Specific time and location will depend on the conditions of the day.
- Big Game Waterfowl will provide guidance, safe boating instructions and equipment, and other waterfowl hunting equipment such as decoys and blind setups during the hunt.
- Participants should dress appropriately for the weather and conditions. Waterproof clothing is best, and camouflage or earth-tone colors are preferred.
To enter for a chance to win, send an email to email@example.com with “youth waterfowl hunt” in the subject line, and include the names of the hunter and accompanying adult and your preference of day. Winners will be randomly drawn from eligible entries.
Entries will be taken until September 30 and winners will be contacted during the week of October 7.