As summer comes into view and the meat selection in the freezer gets a little sparse, we love to utilize ingredients we have on hand to create a recipe perfect for the warmer weather and some outdoor grilling. I learned of this burger recipe from a Vermonter I was guiding with in north Idaho. Here’s to you Matt Majoros. The combination of sweetness from the maple syrup, spiciness of the pepper and savoriness from the blue cheese comes together to create a perfect burger.
Wild Game Blue Cheese Burger
- 1lb wild game burger
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 5 oz blue cheese crumbles (this can be decreased or increased depending on personal
- fresh ground black pepper to taste (we use A LOT, it should make you sneeze!)
- burger buns
- tomato slices
- red onion slices
- pickle slices
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- Combine the burger, maple syrup, blue cheese and black pepper until just incorporated. I let this rest while cutting the toppings.
- Preheat a grill to high.
- Form the burgers into patties. We end up with four ¼-lb. patties.
- Turn the grill down to medium, add the burgers and cook to desired doneness.
- Top with more black pepper.
- Add the mayo to the buns then toast to a golden brown and add your toppings of choice.
Note: The picture shows the addition of fresh morels, baby leeks and bacon. It was fantastic.