My dad and I kept 11 nice walleye on our overnight trip to Devils Lake, North Dakota. But this recipe also works great when you get just one fish but still want to bring it home and share with the family. It's something special and worthy for celebrating your catch.
- 8 ounces (about 12) white or portabella mushrooms
- 1/3 cup fish fillets (about 2 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp each of butter, finely chopped yellow onion, vegetable cream cheese, mayonnaise, Italian-style Panko breadcrumbs, shredded mozzarella cheese, chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 9 x 13 pan or baking sheet with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Clean mushroom caps with damp paper towel, remove stems, and set aside. Place mushroom caps on baking pan. (Save stems and chop up in tomorrow morning's omelet.)
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and fish and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In bowl, combine cream cheese, mayo, lemon juice and breadcrumbs. Then mix in fish/onion mixture.
- Fill each mushroom cap with mixture. Top with shredded mozzarella and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer mushrooms to paper towel for 1 minute before serving warm garnished with parsley.