The Utah chapter has stayed vigilant and busy during the past quarter, working as a voice for Utah's public lands and waters and continuing its growth:
- The Utah chapter held its 2021 Board elections virtually, having members who applied submit videos on their qualifications and interest in BHA. The members voted, and we elected four new board members to the team! We held a virtual new board member orientation on January 11 to get the new members up to speed with their tasks and UT chapter goals.
- Through written comment on the UT BHA website, we opposed the Book Cliffs Highway, a proposal by the Seven County Infrastructure Coalition to construct a highway known as the Eastern Utah Regional Connection through the Book Cliffs. The proposed highway enhancement project is estimated to cost Utah taxpayers over $350 million and would pave approximately 35 miles of roadway through one of the richest big game hunting units in the state. The creation of this highway would transect the Book Cliffs across the divide, thus acting as a significant barrier between critical summer and winter ranges for a host of migratory and resident species that live in the area, including mule deer, elk, bison, antelope and bighorn sheep.
- In February, the UT chapter gathered public land angling enthusiasts for a virtual event in collaboration with Trout Unlimited to learn about conservation work through the Cutthroat Slam. This was a unique way to hook into an angling adventure and support the legacy of native trout in our waters.
- Through written comment, we supported the passing of the Great American Outdoors Act last fall and urged Utahans to reach out to their congressional delegation to show their support for public lands.
- The Utah chapter completed the drafting of their 2021 strategic plan and aim to focus on a new mentorship program. Many members filled out the questionnaire on our website, and we are currently reviewing submissions and working toward the best path forward for mentorship in Utah.
Contact us at [email protected] to get involved!