Join Backcountry Hunters & Anglers at Rendezvous 2023 at the Fairgrounds, 7:30 pm, March 18, in Missoula, Montana, for Campfire Stories! Join amazing storytellers from around the continent as they weave tales of public lands and outdoors experiences. You will laugh and you may cry during this memorable event! Get your tickets to Rendezvous 2023 now! This year's story tellers include Randy Newberg, Hank Shaw, Ashley Smith, DJ Zor, Ray Penny, Jamie Jonkel and more!
- Randy Newberg: Decades of chasing all species across public lands has provided both experience and perspective that has allowed Randy to become the leading advocate for the self-guided hunter; hunters dependent upon public lands for hunting access. What started by accident, has grown into two popular TV shows, Fresh Tracks and On Your Own Adventures, accompanied by the long-standing Hunt Talk web forum. Now added to those platforms is the Hunt Talk Podcast where you get Randy Newberg, unfiltered. Randy uses his platforms to advocate for hunters and public access. In addition to representing hunters in Congress and state legislatures, he serves as a volunteer and board member for many hunting and conservation groups.
- Hank Shaw: Hank is a former restaurant cook, has caught fish and dug clams for a living and, after 18 years as a political reporter for newspapers ranging from New York to Virginia to Wisconsin, Minnesota and California, he pays the bills writing cookbooks, fishing, foraging and hunting. He's written five cookbooks, the most recent in spring 2021. As a food writer, his work has been published in Food & Wine, Petersen’s Hunting, Garden & Gun, Organic Gardening, The Art of Eating, Field and Stream, Sactown and several other publications. Hank walks the walk and talks the talk when it comes to wild game.
- Ashley Smith: A tax and estate planning attorney, a scholar, an activist, and co-founder of the non-profit Minority Outdoor Alliance, Ashley is also married to Durrell Smith, a noted artist, gundog enthusiast, and outdoor writer.
- DJ Zor: DJ Zor is a Lifetime member of BHA. In the past he has served with great effect on the Arizona Trout Unlimited board and the BHA chapter board. DJ recently moved to Montana with his family and is a massive asset to the AFI team in the area. In December of 2021 DJ was asked to join AFI's National Advisory Board as treasurer, and he graciously accepted. DJ is a Navy Sub-Mariner and looks the part.
- Ray Penny: When it comes to waterfowl decoys, there are few who have been in the game longer than G&H Decoys. Proudly producing Made in America decoys for over 80 years, few have the notoriety and reputation for quality that G&H does. As CEO of G&H, Ray Penny knows that public access to public waters is key to introducing new hunters into waterfowling and creating lifelong stewards who will protect these precious recourses, and our outdoor traditions, for generations to come.
- Jamie Jonkel: A wildlife biologist with Montana's Fish, Wildlife and Parks, Jamie Jonkel is a grizzly bear expert and the guy you call when you've got a bear in your garage (it happens more often than you'd think). A technical expert in his field, Jonkel is also a storyteller extraordinaire and a dude who definitely understands the power of the bear.