The Pennsylvania Chapter was recently inspired by Tennessee BHA’s #BHAvsCWD Challenge. To help combat chronic wasting disease (CWD), BHA PA is hosting a giveaway to encourage our members to harvest deer in Disease Management Areas (DMA) and have those animals tested to determine the spread and prevalence of this disease in our state. Your hard work will provide biologists and resource managers with the critical data they need to fight the spread of CWD and protect deer populations in Pennsylvania. And just as importantly, we can help limit the spread of CWD by reducing the herd.
CWD was first detected in Pennsylvania in 2012. The state Game Commission has established three Disease Management Areas (DMAs) to define the known range of the disease and focus efforts to minimize its effects on free ranging cervids. The DMA boundaries can be found here. The Pennsylvania Game Commission is currently accepting public comments for its Proposed CWD Response Plan. Public comment period ends February 29, 2019.
Hunters who harvest deer in a DMA and follow the contest rules will be entered in a random drawing
- First Prize: Vortex Diamondback 10x42 Binoculars
- Second Prize: Pennsylvania BHA Chapter Hat, BHA T-shirt, and an Onx Premium Membership
- Third Prize: Pennsylvania BHA Chapter Hat and Hunt to Eat Pennsylvania T-shirt
- To enter, participants must be a member of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers and email proof of each harvest or testing to: Pennsylvania@backcountryhunters.org
Keep us updated on your hunts by tagging @BHA_PA on Facebook and Instagram. Be sure to use the hashtag #pabhavscwd!
The following rules apply:
1) Participants must be a member of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers. Not a member? Click Here to join.
2) Participants must possess a valid Pennsylvania resident hunting license.
3) All Pennsylvania state laws and regulations apply.
4) One entry will be counted for each:
- Harvest in DMA (send image of completed tag)
- Deer tested in DMA (send copy of report)
- Positive CWD test (send copy of report)
5) All harvest entries must be deer harvested in a Disease Management Area as defined by the Pennsylvania Game Commission. Multiple entries allowed.
6) Proof of harvest and testing must be emailed to: Pennsylvania@backcountryhunters.org