All Americans have a right to enjoy our public lands and waters – but no small minority has a right to damage those public treasures or ruin the experience of others enjoying the great outdoors. Many of us can tell stories of stalks ruined, peace and quiet shattered and pack strings spooked by illegal off-road vehicles.
To help encourage sportsmen and public land users to continue our longstanding tradition of policing our own ranks, BHA offers up to $500 in rewards for reports or information leading to a conviction of illegal motorized users. Report illegal OHV use to your local game warden and/or land manager and help ensure that we continue to have quality habitat, hunts, and access for all.
If you witness illegal OHV use, collect the following and report it to your local warden or LEO.
- Date, location and description of the incident - when, where, what and who you saw. Collect as many details as possible, including: GPS points, name of road or trail head, etc.
- Photos of the identification number from the OHV's permit, serial number, and/or the license plate of the owner's truck.
- Photos, supporting statements from other witnesses and any other documentation that you can gather
If you are interested in claiming a reward through BHA's OHV Reward Fund Program, send an email to your appropriate Regional Chapter Coordinator with "OHV Reward Fund" in the subject line. Please include the information above in addition to:
- How your report helped lead to the conviction of the illegal OHV user.
- Name and contact information for the officer that made the conviction.
- Status/result of prosecution (while we will accept a reward nomination before a conviction has been levied, the reward money will not be issued until after a conviction has been made and documented)
*Collect as much information as you feel comfortable with; do not risk your own safety while getting this information.
A similar reward program exists for illegal dumping on public lands. No one has the right to dump their garbage on our lands, and as public land owners, it's our duty to help police these places. To encourage good stewardship, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers offers up to a $500 reward to individuals who report information on illegal dumping that leads to a conviction.
All the information above applies. If you are interested in claiming a reward through BHA's Illegal Dumping Reward Fund Program, please send us an email with "Illegal Dumping Reward Fund" in the subject line.