We are seeking an individual with the talent, passion and desire to promote and grow our Montana Chapter and engage in Montana conservation issues. Backcountry Hunters & Anglers is the nation’s leading public lands and waters focused sportsmen’s conservation organization. BHA is growing with chapters covering 35 states, two Canadian provinces, and Washington, D.C. We have individual members all across North America, as well as internationally, and a $2.4 million annual budget.
In Montana, BHA has over 1,000 members and a talented and hardworking group of board members covering each region of the state. They are committed to BHA's work on enhancing public access and opportunity for sportsmen, conserving our public lands and waters, and defending our fair chase traditions.
Job Description and Primary Responsibilities:
- Increase capacity and reach of state chapter. A primary focus of the duties will include increasing membership, event planning, fundraising, merchandise sales and working with the chapter to advance state and national conservation programs.
- Serve as a liaison between BHA headquarters and the leadership of state chapter. • Recruit and encourage strong volunteer leaders.
- Enhance grassroots conservation efforts of state chapter including but not limited to keeping public lands in public hands, preserving and expanding public lands and stream/waterway access, protecting the Smith River, advancing Habitat Montana and place-based conservation efforts, and promoting fair chase and fishing ethics.
- Work collaboratively with other conservation partners and elected and administrative state and federal officials on priority conservation campaigns.
- Work with and maintain regular communications with chapter leaders to keep volunteers informed and motivated about the organization and its mission, activities, goals and fundraising efforts.
- Work with the BHA team to build major gift, corporate, foundation, grant and planned giving relationships to escalate our mission-related efforts.
- Plan and conduct meetings with chapter.
- Work with BHA's communications staff to highlight grassroots engagement on priority policies.
- Coordinate and monitor Montana chapter social media platforms.
- The team member we desire is innovative and a creative thinker with a proven success of following through with his/her ideas.
- Demonstrated, results-oriented organizational, leadership and sales skills.
- General knowledge of Montana history, conservation issues, hunting, fishing, economics and current political landscape.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred plus two years of practical experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and interact with sportsmen and sportswomen and a general knowledge of public land and water conservation issues.
- Innovative and resourceful self-starter who is able to work with minimal supervision.
- Belief in and commitment to BHA's work and mission.
- Public lands hunter and/or angler.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to lift 25lbs and have a valid driver’s license.
Starting Salary: Dependent on experience. This is a full-time position with health and retirement benefits.
Closing Date: September 29, 2017.
Anticipated Start Date: November 2017
Application: To apply send cover letter and resume to Office Manager, Caitlin Frisbie at email@example.com. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one word document. The application cover letter should outline both your interest in and qualifications for this position. Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of wild public lands and waters.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.