The annual Montana Chapter Campout is coming to Region 3 this year, to be hosted in the Tobacco Roots!
Come join chapter leaders and fellow BHA members for a weekend of great times, belly laughs and the return of the Backcountry Olympics!
Montana Chapter Campout
Upper Sureshot Lake - Tobacco Roots
Friday, June 14th – Sunday, June 16th
- The Chapter will be providing dinner (pulled pork and brats with various sides) on Saturday the 15th; no other meals will be provided.
- This is a family-friendly event; well-behaved dogs and children are welcome.
- Reasonable, responsible and legal alcohol consumption will be allowed. The event is BYOB.
- The campsite is best suited for tents; there will be additional camper trailer parking nearby that will be identified as we get closer to the Campout. If we fill up the designated area there will be overflow sites identified. The entrance to the campsite is a bit bumpy; vehicles with higher clearance are recommended.
- This is a primitive campsite so please be prepared to bring the necessary provisions. There is, however, a vault toilet at the site (you may want to bring your own toilet tissue of choice #mountainmoney).
Campout is going to be a very busy weekend with plenty of optional activities!
- Friday afternoon/evening folks will arrive, set up camp and mingle.
- Friday evening we'll talk about grizzly bears. Folks will have an opportunity to go up against a charging grizzly bear simulator.
- At 9 AM on Saturday we'll kick things off with an open Chapter Board Meeting; all members are welcome.
- Saturday afternoon will be filled with the return of the Backcountry Olympics! Teams, based on FWP Regions, will be pitted against one other for the chance to take home the coveted Golden Antler trophy! Events will include things like archery shoots (bring your bows!), fire starting (bring your fire starters!), casting accuracy (bring your fishing stuff!), scavenger hunt (bring your backpack and boots!) and more!
- Dinner will be served around 6pm on Saturday evening, followed by shenanigans and storytelling around the campfire.
- For those who wish to explore the area, there are plenty of fishing and hiking opportunities. Upper Sure Shot lake contains small, hungry brook trout and other lakes in the area are home to Westslope and Yellowstone Cutthroats. Hiking options vary and are not too challenging.
- Sunday (Happy Father's Day!) there are no planned activities other than leaving the site better than we found it. Feel free to fish, hike or continue to get to know your fellow public land owners.
To locate the campsite, head to McAllister (south of I-90 on MT 287) and head West on N. Meadow Creek Road. DO NOT TAKE OTHER ROUTES AS THOSE ARE CLOSED. Stay on North Meadow Creek Road the entire way.
And remember to please RSVP if you're joining us!
Please email us with any questions.
June 14, 2019 at 5:00pm - June 16, 2019