Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure North America’s outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of our wild public lands, waters and wildlife. We are a North American nonprofit organization with chapters throughout Canada and the United States.
Now, more than ever before, we need wild lands: places that offer solitude and challenge to rekindle the fire at the heart of the human soul. BHA is a nonpartisan group of sportsmen and women who are standing up for these places and for the outdoor access opportunities they represent. We are North America’s leading hunting and angling organization dedicated to conserving our public lands legacy and the waters, wildlife and traditions they sustain.
We are seeking an individual with the talent, passion and desire to promote and grow the Backcountry Hunters & Anglers mission. This position is housed in our Business Development and Fundraising Team and reports directly to the director of innovative alliances. This staffer will conceptualize, plan, execute and oversee all HQ fundraising and membership events both virtual and live as well as provide oversight of chapter efforts and scalability for new fundraising event efforts.
The ideal candidate will be fundraising and membership metrics-driven with strong ownership and focus. The individual must be able to prioritize effectively and communicate clearly, both verbally and via written word. This position requires the ability to exercise good judgment, make responsible decisions, analyze problems, evaluate strategies, accurately document activities, prepare timely and complete reports, adhere to standards of confidentiality and communicate effectively. Some travel will be required. This position does not have any direct reports.
Events and Special Projects Coordinator will engage in the following:
- Work closely with multiple organizational teams to build out event and project opportunities.
- Develop event strategies with these teams based on objectives including but not limited to membership generation, increasing monetization of all organizational actions, and member/volunteer advocacy.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute on average 10-20 events per year including our annual Rendezvous with end-to-end plan and follow-up, measurement, and ROI.
- Responsible for all event planning and management, including but not limited to internal team training for the event (elevator pitch, demos, etc.), support materials, pre- and post-event or project communications with internal event team and donor prospects, and partners.
- Build strong relationships with members, staff and partners.
- Ensure event represents the BHA brand and is always professional.
- Help establish protocol for team representing BHA both at in-person and virtual events (booth schedule, breaks, branded attire, behavior, etc.)
- Coordinate and manage all event inventory, including displays and signs, event presentations, collateral, prizes and giveaways, etc.
- Develop scalable events and projects and establish instructions and training tools for others.
- Minimum of 3 years in an event coordinator or related role
- Experience organizing and coordinating multiple events simultaneously
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Highly organized, decisive and a quick problem solver
- A self-starter who is energized by service to people and members
- Ability to motivate cross-functional teams to work with you and feel great about their involvement
- Bachelor’s degree or related equivalent experience
- Ability and excitement to travel throughout North America
- Move easily between generating big, creative ideas, and driving ongoing process improvement
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex and highly visible projects at the highest level
- Preferably a hunter and/or angler
- Willing to work flexible hours
- Conducts work with integrity, good humor and a focus on developing partnerships, building trust and strengthening professional relationships
- Demonstrated ability to work with and interact with sportsmen and women and a general knowledge of current and historical public land and water conservation issues, hunting, fishing, economics and the current political landscape
- Belief in and commitment to BHA's work and mission
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds and have a valid driver’s license
BHA is headquartered in Missoula, Montana. We offer a stimulating and fun work environment, health insurance and 401K plan match, generous leave package including annual time off for backcountry hunting/fishing, and discounts with BHA corporate partners.
Starting Salary: Dependent on experience
Location: Missoula, MT; remote options considered for superior candidates.
Application: To apply send cover letter and resume to hiring committee at [email protected] with the subject line “Events and Special Projects Coordinator.”
Please attach your cover letter and resume as one pdf document. The application cover letter should outline both your interest in and qualifications for this position.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting through education and work on behalf of wild public lands, waters and wildlife.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.