Backcountry Hunters & Anglers is a North American nonprofit organization with chapters throughout Canada and the United States. BHA seeks to ensure North America’s outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of our wild public lands, waters and wildlife.
Now, more than ever before, we need wild lands: places that offer solitude and challenge to rekindle the fire at the heart of the human soul. BHA is a nonpartisan group of sportsmen and women who are standing up for these places and for the outdoor access opportunities they represent. We are North America’s leading conservation organization dedicated to our public lands legacy and the waters, wildlife and traditions they sustain.
We are seeking an individual with the talent, passion and desire to promote and grow the Backcountry Hunters & Anglers mission in addition to engaging in local conservation issues in California and Nevada. This position will work with volunteers and chapter leaders in California and Nevada to help promote BHA’s mission and goals. The California and Nevada Chapter Coordinator will work to strengthen chapter leadership, recruit and engage members and support chapter work on local issues. This position serves as the liaison between BHA’s staff and chapter leadership.
The ideal candidate will work with limited supervision and be flexible and organized in a fast-paced work environment. This position requires the ability to exercise good judgment, analyze problems, develop solutions, evaluate policy strategies, prepare professional reports that accurately document activities, adhere to standards of confidentiality and communicate effectively. The successful candidate will represent BHA with integrity and champion the mission and values in all facets of their work.
The California and Nevada Chapter Coordinator will engage in the following:
- inspire, cultivate and mentor willing volunteers to lead the development of chapters in the CA and NV through on the ground projects, fundraising events, membership recruitment and engagement on conservation issues central to BHA’s mission;
- support chapter boards in CA and NV to ensure that chapter leaders are informed of and understand BHA policies, procedures and new initiatives;
- work with chapters and BHA staff to develop and promote robust fundraising events such as hunting and fishing film tours, sport shows, storytelling nights and other events to promote membership, attract new public lands advocates and create in-person opportunities to advance BHA’s work in CA and NV;
- assist in writing grant proposals and reports;
- foster chapter communications through BHA’s website, email systems and chapter-based social media to raise the profile of BHA, generate new members and partners and advance policy priorities;
- monitor activities and legislation at the state legislatures related to public lands, hunting, fishing and management of fish, wildlife and habitat;
- work with BHA staff to assist chapters by developing legislative or programmatic updates and activating members and supporters to engage in state legislatures, meetings with decision makers and other events as needed;
- work with external partners to advance strategies related to legislative or administrative conservation priorities;
- help maintain local relationships with congressional staff;
- work with BHA’s communications staff to solicit and/or generate online content highlighting chapter policy priorities, leaders or on the ground conservation successes;
- work with BHA’s communications staff to write letters to the editor, opinion columns and letters to state and national legislators;
- perform other duties as determined by the senior staff or the president/CEO.
- Preferably a hunter and/or angler
- Willing to work flexible hours and travel across CA and NV up to 25% of the time, including periodic travel to state legislatures as needed.
- Previous experience in nonprofit volunteer management is strongly preferred.
- Must conduct work with integrity, good humor and a focus on developing partnerships, building trust and strengthening professional relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree, plus a minimum of two years of practical experience.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work with and interact with sportsmen and women and have a general knowledge of current and historical conservation issues, economics and the current political landscape.
- Must be innovative and a resourceful self-starter who can work with minimal supervision.
- Must believe in and commit to BHA's work and mission.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds and have a valid driver’s license.
Starting Salary: Dependent on experience. This is a junior-level position, but prior experience will be considered in determining compensation.
Location: California or Nevada
Application: To apply send cover letter and resume to hiring committee at Careers@backcountryhunters.org with the subject line “California and Nevada Chapter Coordinator.”
Please attach your cover letter and resume as one pdf document. The application cover letter should outline both your interest in and qualifications for this position.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting through education and work on behalf of wild public lands and waters.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.