Armed Forces Initiative Coordinator
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers (BHA) is a North American nonprofit organization with chapters throughout Canada and the United States. BHA seeks to ensure North America’s outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of our wild public lands, waters and wildlife.
Now, more than ever before, we need wild lands: places that offer solitude and challenge to rekindle the fire at the heart of the human soul. BHA is a nonpartisan group of sportsmen and women who are standing up for these places and for the outdoor access opportunities they represent. We are North America’s leading sportsmen’s conservation organization dedicated to our public lands legacy and the waters, wildlife and traditions they sustain.
BHA seeks a coordinator to lead our newly established Armed Forces Initiative (AFI) program. This individual will work to develop and implement the AFI program, supporting AFI programming efforts across North America. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading an energetic base of BHA military members to execute programmatic objectives, to better serve and engage our Armed Forces Community, and to drive forward BHA’s mission and issue priorities on behalf of our public lands, waters, and wildlife. This position will be expected to travel across the U.S. and Canada to engage our membership and partners key to the successful development and implementation of the AFI program.
The ideal candidate must be able to work with little supervision and be flexible and organized in a fast-paced work environment. This position requires the ability to exercise good judgment, make responsible decisions, analyze problems, evaluate strategies, accurately document activities, prepare timely and complete reports, adhere to standards of confidentiality, and communicate effectively. The successful candidate will adhere to BHA’s mission and philosophy.
The Armed Forces Coordinator will engage in the following:
- Lead the development and implementation of BHA’s Armed Forces Program.
- Develop innovative opportunities to engage, serve, and build a community for our military membership.
- Recruit and cultivate AFI volunteer leadership body.
- Establish and leverage network of base and VA contacts to implement and grow AFI
- Increase BHA’s military membership by 500 new members annually.
- Generate and grow engaging traditional and social media content and following.
- Identify and pursue funding to support AFI Program needs.
- Assist in engaging military members in BHA’s core public land and water conservation and public access work.
- Help secure financial resources to sustain and grow the Armed Forces Initiative program.
- Perform other duties as determined by the Director of Operations and President and CEO.
- Honorable service in the active or reserve component in any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces is required.
- Prior experience organizing volunteers preferred.
- Must be a highly energetic professional with a strong track record of leadership, relationship building, and program development and implementation experience.
- Must be innovative and a creative thinker with a proven success of following through with his/her ideas.
- Must be a hunter and/or angler with a willingness to work flexible hours and travel across the continent.
- Must conduct work with integrity, good humor and a focus on developing partnerships, building trust and strengthening professional relationships.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work with and interact with veterans, active service military personnel, sportsmen and women and have a knowledge of current and historical public lands and waters conservation issues, hunting, fishing, economics and the current political landscape.
- Must be innovative and a resourceful self-starter who can work with minimal supervision.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds and have a valid driver’s license.
Starting Salary: Dependent on Experience
Location: Missoula, Montana, preferred.
Application: To apply send cover letter and resume to hiring committee at Careers@backcountryhunters.org with the subject line “Armed Forces Initiative Coordinator”.
Please attach your cover letter and resume as one pdf document. The application cover letter should outline both your interest in and qualifications for this position.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting through education and work on behalf of wild public lands and waters.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.