As we head into Father's Day weekend, it's impossible to ignore all who are hurting in Montana right now due to this week's historic floods.
Below is a list of gift ideas that will stoke out dad, while also supporting those in need: a win-win.
1) Gift cards to fly shops. These businesses will be impacted hard by this, and even if you're not sure what dad needs, a gift card is a way to offer early support and drive future business to these local fly shops at a time they need it. Many shops are still closed and accessing damage, so call ahead or check their websites. There are many outfits to choose from including Sweetwater Fly Shop, Park's Fly Shop, Dan Bailey’s, Yellowstone Angler, Anglers West, Galloup's Slide Inn, Big Sky Anglers, Gallatin River Guides and Blue Ribbon Flies as conservation-minded businesses directly impacted by this or offering their help, and all are deserving of our support.
2) Donations made in your dad's name. There are a ton of local community organizations doing great work right now, and this list is in no way complete, but here are three to consider:
3) A new pair of work gloves from Ace Hardware in Livingston, Butte or Anaconda. These three Ace locations have pooled resources to help local communities in need, offering tools, supplies and free sandbags. There will soon be plenty of need for boots-on-the-ground cleanup and repair efforts, so a good pair of work gloves (or anything else dad might need from Ace Hardware) would make a meaningful gift.
4) A future trip to Paradise Valley, Red Lodge, Livingston, Gardiner or any of the other gateway communities facing economic uncertainty. Look at other recreational opportunities outside of Yellowstone National Park. Explore places to stay, restaurants to dine at and local shops to support. Dad will love the thought and planning that goes into a gift like this.
5) A fly fishing trip. There's no question that guides and outfitters will be taking a hit. Gift dad an experience he'll never forget while showing some love to our friends in the angling community. You may not be able to take a trip right now, but the future booking is essential to the support of guides and shops around the region.
6) A #FliesForFloodRelief item. BHA staffer, father and all-around-good-dude Josh Mills (@millsfly) has rallied the troops in support of the Guide Relief Program. Search the hashtag #FliesForFloodRelief on Instagram to see the growing list of items individuals and businesses are offering up for the cause. Brands like Costa, Simms, Patagonia, Lamson Waterworks, Sage Fly Fishing, Ed Anderson Art, Rep Your Water, Umpqua, Skwala and more are all pitching in. Find something dad would like, make a bid, and send a check.
One of the best parts of living in Montana is our caring community that feels like one big family. If there’s anyone who understands that, it’s dad.
To all the dads raising little public land owners - and to the dads who raised them - we hope you have a very happy Father's Day.
*Image courtesy of Charlie McLaughlin
Learn more about the Montana Chapter: